Friday, December 21, 2012

Donating eco-food at the holidays

© Photos by Patricia Dines, 2012 
Seeing the food donation barrels come out for the holidays made me pause and remember to be grateful that I have enough to eat. Unfortunately, many people in this country do not – including the "working poor," who support so much of the structure of our community. Also impacted are their families, as well as many of our culture's elders, who are living out their golden years on limited incomes.

So I thought to myself that maybe this year I wanted to send some money to the Redwood Empire Food Bank

But I hesitated, wondered why, and realized that it was because my money probably wouldn't be used to buy them organic food

I rolled my eyes at myself. Really? I know that any food would be appreciated, and I'm glad for the work REFB does. 

Still, I listened to my own heart too. Yes, I'm not personally excited to give people mainstream food that I know probably has toxics and a lot lower nutrients.

But then I realized – I can buy them organic food and put it into one of these bins!  Well, duh! So I found the organic form of the packaged staples that REFB says folks need most (and got them at good sale prices) then put them in the barrel. Yay!

So that felt good. But still I wondered, “Is that the best I can do?” 

Just then my calendar rolled up with a notice for the Ceres Community Project Annual Holiday Party, being held at their new Sebastopol building. Oooo, I love the work that this nonprofit does, so I was glad for the chance to get an update and look for ways that I can support their activities. 


Ceres' mission is to "build healthy communities by restoring fresh, whole, and organic food to its place as the foundation of health, and by connecting people in heart-centered ways to themselves, others, and the earth." 

Isn't that beautiful? And I love how they put organic food in the center of a healthy path.


Their model is also fascinating, as they empower teens to cook healthy food, which is then given free to nourish people with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses. So the young people learn and feel productive while being of service. Very cool! 

The organization also educates the larger community about the connection between food, healing, and wellness. 


Ceres has a beautiful overarching vision: "We see a world of heart-centered, vibrant communities in which we live with an understanding that humans are deeply interconnected with all life, where we care for one another and our earth, and where everyone has access to beautiful, delicious and healthy food."

Yes, I want that! And I really feel this commitment when I'm around them, which is lovely! 

So I had lots of fun at their gathering, seeing their new kitchen and home, connecting with the folks there, and looking for ways that I can support their work. (See picture at right.)

You can check out the Ceres website for more about what they do (including their public classes), and how you can participate. They also have a Marin group. And they're on Facebook!


                                                                                                                                               

So then, thinking about Ceres made me think about Petaluma Bounty! This nonprofit "is working to create a sustainable Petaluma food system with healthy fresh food for everyone!" 

Their projects include: 

* A network of community gardens (to increase food self-sufficiency and strengthen community); 

* A community food gleaning program (that collects fresh surplus food from backyard gardens, farms, and businesses, and distributes it to food pantries and senior centers); 

* The Bounty Farm (an educational urban farm growing sustainably farmed food for the community and teaching sustainable agriculture to students, interns, and the general public); and 

* The Bounty Box Food Club (weekly boxes of organic fruits and vegetables sold at wholesale prices to low-income families, with retail boxes also available).

Looking at their website, I see so many ways that we can connect with, and support, this organization's work for a healthy community. You can also find them on Facebook.

And that's when I realized that my simple question had reminded me of the wonderful groups doing such great work to integrate organic food, farming, and community nourishment in their offerings. That makes me so happy! And I know that even just a little support from us can really amplify what they do.

So this holiday season I hope that my little journey encourages you to consider how you can spread your holiday cheer into your community in eco-supportive ways. We can nurture both people and the planet.

Once you get started, I suspect that you too will find your heart warmed seeing the wonderful activities there are to support, just like these above.

And, through choices like these, we can truly create Happy Holidays for all!
                                                                                                                                               

For more on this topic, you might enjoy my related Ask EcoGirl print columnHoliday Donations: Your Magic Wand for Planetary Change! 

I also describe many others ways you can green your holidays, and their aftermath, at http://www.askecogirl.info/AEThemeGreenHolidays.html.  This includes tips to soften the eco-impact of your gifts, parties, and discards. 
                                                                                                                                               

ENDNOTES: 
* For a little context, the Working Poor Families Report says that 46 million Americans, including 23 million children, live in low-income working families.  This means that nearly one in three working families in the U.S. is struggling to meet basic needs. "Although low-income working families remain mostly invisible to policymakers, these families are comprised of workers who form the backbone of our economy: working the cash registers, keeping our homes and businesses clean, preparing our food, and helping care for our children and elderly relatives."

You can see more about REFB's programs to end hunger in our community, and how you can help, at http://refb.org/html/hunger_initiative.html. I was happy to see that one of their programs is a Farm to Family School Pantry Program, with fresh produce and nutrition education! 

You can also see their healthier food tips and links at http://refb.org/html/nutrition_education.html.

* You can see more of my pics from the Ceres Holiday Party at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151191076152773.446468.100244127772&type=1&l=7dad8b4e74
                                                                                                                                               

Blog content (c) Copyright Patricia Dines, 2012. All rights reserved. Links are encouraged! My content is also available for reprint, but please contact me for permission first. Thanks!

• • •

I hope you enjoyed this piece and I welcome your thoughts. In this blog, I'm experimenting with different styles and approaches. So, please tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!

I OFFER TWO OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

1) I hope the first will work for most folks. Try it first! It's based on the Facebook interface (and connects with it), and also has easy access for folks with yahoo and other email accounts. If you un-check the Facebook link, it'll still post here.

2) If that comment box doesn't work for you, try the other second one lower down. But I think that's going to be less preferable.

Please let me know your preference between these two options. I'm still working out these little details!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this piece and welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!