Thursday, June 9, 2011

How I got started on my eco-writing path

Growing up, I never expected to be doing what I am now, writing about eco-issues and seeking to help nurture positive change in my culture. I'm as surprised as anyone! But I'm also thrilled that somehow, though the path has certainly been rocky, I've been able to carve out a way to contribute to a better world.
I say that my eco-writing path officially began in 1992. At that point, I'd been a professional writer and trainer for about 10 years, and had recently moved into a wonderful cottage in the country, nestled on the edge of a valley. Just breath-taking! But then one day, I had a horrifying headache, unlike any I had ever experienced. I looked out the window and saw a huge machine pumping toxic chemicals into the air, running back and forth along the apple trees, as the toxics drifted towards my porch. Eek! 
The toxics made me sick, so I researched what they were, and found out that the impacts were indeed serious — for me, the local critters and eco-systems — even the farmers! But when I looked at how to stop it, I found out that there was little real recourse, that this was just normal and accepted. Really?!
I had previously eaten organic foods and contributed to eco-organizations, but this pulled me into another level of action. I wanted to let others know what was going on! But I also wanted to be empathetic to the farmers, not demonize them, and help them transition to healthier options. 
As I looked at how to help, I realized that I could offer my writing. But I also felt that I wanted to explore some different ways of talking about eco-issues. Too often I felt that eco-writers were so focused on the dark scenarios and blaming and shaming people that they turned off folks who otherwise might've been interested in their message. I felt there was a way to write about these topics that was respectful and caring about readers, ringing the alarm bell but also focused on solutions, describing how people could participate in better outcomes. I felt that people would like to hear about how we could succeed at addressing our eco-problems!
Over the years, I've written about a wide range of eco-topics, in articles, books, newsletters, and white papers, as well as talks of various types. I've had lots of fun exploring how to implement the style I had in mind. But the most thrilling part has been hearing readers tell me over the years that they were experiencing in my work just what I was aiming for!
As I look at how to introduce myself to new folks in this blog setting, I realize that I've never written out my principles. So I thought I'd do that now! Read more in my next post!
I hope you find this information of interest, and I look forward to connecting with you in this blog.

Blog content (c) Copyright Patricia Dines, 2011. All rights reserved. Links are encouraged! My content is also available for reprint, but please contact me for permission first. Thanks!
• • •

I hope you enjoyed this piece and I welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!


I OFFER TWO OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMMENTS! 

1) I hope the first will work for most folks. Try it first! It's based on the Facebook interface (and connects with it), and also has easy access for folks with yahoo and other email accounts. If you un-check the Facebook link, it'll still post here.


2) If that comment box doesn't work for you, try the other second one lower down. But I think that's going to be less preferable.



Please let me know your preference between these two options. I'm still working out these little details!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this piece and welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!