Monday, November 5, 2012

Book Review: Exposed

BOOK REVIEW:
Exposed: The Toxic Chemistry of Everyday Products and What’s at Stake for American Power, 
by Mark Schapiro, 2007, 216 pages

Mark Schapiro’s book, Exposed, offers a new take on the tale of toxics in our daily lives.

Sure, reading this book will help you better understand the ways that common everyday materials and products are harming the health of ourselves, our families, and our ecosystems.

But Schapiro also lets us know that Europe is taking a whole new level of action to prevent that harm — and is demonstrating that this is good for business and economic growth as well.

Schapiro makes this information engaging by telling the stories of the key players in this drama — those whose health is being harmed, whose businesses are at stake, and whose better ideas are being implemented.

His most intriguing argument is that the U.S. chemical industry’s resistance to healthier products is rapidly putting them at a competitive disadvantage in the global marketplace, making our products increasingly unwelcome, and threatening our claims of economic supremacy. 

Worldwide, governments and industry are increasingly looking to Europe, not the U.S., to see how products of the twenty-first century should be invented, designed, produced, and marketed. The longer our companies delay embracing this path, he says, the farther they will fall behind and into disfavor with consumers.

While making a strong economic argument for changing “business as usual,” the book also shows consumers that we don’t have to wait for government and industry to protect us. Armed with information about Europe’s inspiring example, we can also insist that our representatives and businesses serve the true well-being of us all.

You can see the publisher's link to the book at http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/exposed

You can also see more of my favorite books on my Favorite Books page.

Blog content (c) Copyright Patricia Dines, 2012. All rights reserved. Links are encouraged! My content is also available for reprint, but please contact me for permission first. Thanks!

• • •

I hope you enjoyed this piece and I welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!

I OFFER TWO OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

1) I hope the first will work for most folks. Try it first! It's based on the Facebook interface (and connects with it), and also has easy access for folks with yahoo and other email accounts. If you un-check the Facebook link, it'll still post here.

2) If that comment box doesn't work for you, try the other second one lower down. But I think that's going to be less preferable.


Please let me know your preference between these two options. I'm still working out these little details!


• • •

PURCHASING NOTE: I choose all the books that I review here purely because I value them personally. And I encourage you to buy books from your local independent bookseller, your local used bookstore, or the author directly. 

However, if you're going to buy from Amazon anyway, you can support my work by clicking on the Amazon link here to see the book, then either (1) buying it during that session, or (2) adding it (and any other items) to your cart and buying it (them) within three months. This provides me with a small advertising commission from Amazon.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this piece and welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!