Sunday, December 16, 2012

Discovering Eva: The etheric voice of singer Eva Cassidy

Music has long been such a gift in my life, offering beauty, play, empathy, nourishment, and so much more. One of my personal pleasures is the feeling of singing, and I was even a DJ at my college radio station! 

I won’t be discussing music much on this blog – that’s a whole ‘nother conversation. But I had to make sure you knew about the amazing etheric voice of Eva Cassidy. 

When she passed away in 1996, at the too-young age of 33, she had a following in her native Washington DC. But it wasn’t until four years later that she was discovered more broadly, when a British DJ played her signature song "(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow." 

People’s overwhelming and positive response to that song rippled around the globe, making her an unexpected sensation, just because of the quality of her singing. Her songs have gone on to sell millions of copies and top the charts in various countries. Her friends say that she was actually quite shy, so they feel that perhaps it's OK that this outpouring happened after she passed.

I just recently discovered her, when I heard her version of "(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow" on the radio, and (like so many other folks) was stopped in my tracks. Something amazing was going on there. I had to find out who she was! 

So I found that song online -- and was mesmerized again. It was like I was hearing the song for the first time -- and now I understood what it meant in a whole different way. So cool! I had to hear more. 

Thus I dove into YouTube to listen to more of her songs, and became enamoured with her. Wow, what a voice -- with such an amazing quality of presence and honest emotion -- expressed in a delightful variety of musical styles -- and bringing forward new dimensions of songs that we think we already know. 

That's when I decided that I had to share her with you! Below are links to some of my favorites of her songs. She mostly did ones written by others, and brought to them her unique and fresh interpretation.

I hope that you enjoy this music too, and that it brings her beautiful voice into your day and your life. (If you like her work, a few of her albums are for sale, in the usual places.)

I've also included links here with more information about her journey.

Blessings - Patricia

p.s. If any of these links don't work for you, please let me know. Thanks!

Over the Rainbow

At Last

Fields of Gold

Imagine (by John Lennon)

Wade in the Water

Nightbird

The Eva Cassidy Story - on ABC Nightline
“Eva Cassidy reaches top of charts after death.”
(An actually caring and well-done portrayal of her journey.)

Evie’s song
(A beautiful instrumental by Milica, “one of the world's best classical guitarists”, dedicated to Eva Cassidy.)

The Eva Cassidy website (maintained by her cousin)

Her Wikipedia entry (with more on about her life)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Cassidy

Blog content (c) Copyright Patricia Dines, 2012. All rights reserved. Links are encouraged! My content is also available for reprint, but please contact me for permission first. Thanks!

• • •

I hope you enjoyed this piece and I welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!

I OFFER TWO OPTIONS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!

1) I hope the first will work for most folks. Try it first! It's based on the Facebook interface (and connects with it), and also has easy access for folks with yahoo and other email accounts. If you un-check the Facebook link, it'll still post here.

2) If that comment box doesn't work for you, try the other second one lower down. But I think that's going to be less preferable.

Please let me know your preference between these two options. I'm still working out these little details!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this piece and welcome your thoughts. Tell me what you like about it, or any other constructive thoughts you want to share. Thanks!